NAME: Ulf Åström
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Available for proposals
▹ software/web development, UNIX
▹ media (video, audio, graphics)
▹ communication (teaching, writing)
▹ game development
▹ electrical engineering, CAD
- PROGRAMMING: Self-taught programmer since age 11. Problem-solving mindset. Accustomed to figuring things out and will pick up new APIs, languages and paradigms as needed. Produces stable, portable and well-documented code with high attention to detail.
NO LANGUAGE PRESTIGE: Primarily works in C but also fluent in OO and scripting languages. Believes in choosing the proper tool for the job (sometimes it is a VBA macro).
EFFICIENT TOOLBOX: Uses version control, debuggers, -Wall (linters usually do more harm than good), build and deploy scripts, separation of development and production environment.
- EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE: Has written a serialization library for C, cross-compatible code between UNIX and Windows, DLL wrappers to call C++ libraries from C, asynchronous I/O, DSL transpilers, XML parsing, REST services, a terminal emulator, a web server, sound mixing utilities, etc.
Dabbled in LISP, assembly language and microcontrollers.
Taught programming (C#) to highschool students.
- SERVERS: System and network administration (maintains multiple domains hosting web content, shell accounts and other services), Linux and other *nix-derivates, virtualization (this page is served off a VPS), hardware setup and troubleshooting.
- CREATIVE: music production, webcomic artist, demoscene
- GAME DEVELOPMENT: Procedural content generation (building random maps and validating their completeness), graphics (vector and low-res pixel art, constraint-based 3D), music and sound design, mechanics, story, dialogue, interface, testing, balancing.
Enjoys making games a lot more than playing them.
- Down-to-earth, empathic, tolerant and progressive. Concerned about personal integrity and making respectable choices.
- Brooding with a dark sense of irony. PTSD survivor.
- Curious, easily bored and obsessively creative: sometimes neglects to eat and sleep while working on something, then lapses into periods of self-loathing over not being productive enough.
- Socially reserved with strangers, yet strongly inclined to build long-lasting relationships with decent, interesting people. Dislikes being labeled an "introvert".
- Anti-authoritarian with low compliance to threats, intimidation and dysfunctional social dynamics.
LAST KNOWN OCCUPATION
2018-¿¿: Software developer, video encoding.
- Development of an asset management system for the broadcast industry, the core product providing a REST API for managing large volumes of media and metadata on a variety of storage solutions, on premise or cloud hosted.
- Primarily worked on the transcoder component (written in C/C++), allowing conversion across a plethora of video and audio codecs, bridging open and proprietary formats. Maintained Linux and Windows ports using a variety of build and deployment tools.
- Designed and implemented a library to provide "Just-In-Time" transcoding and streaming for a web-based video editing application.
- Accumulated knowledge of media formats, video standards, editing workflows and broadcast practices.
2021: Launched Sátnerádju.net, a self-study aid for Northern Sámi vocabulary.
2016—2018: University language studies.
2016: Released a game on Steam.
2006—2015: Technical consultant in industrial automation systems.
- Design, testing and on-site commissioning of electrical equipment such as control cubicles, switchgear, cabling, PLC interfaces, safety and emergency equipment. Production of circuit diagrams, assembly drawings, bill of materials, wiring tables, etc, in a wide range of CAD software.
- Development of AutoCAD extensions and macros, integration between CAD systems and office applications. Automation of error-prone substitution and data gathering tasks, preparation of wiring table change lists, printing and PDF generation.
- Review and final delivery of technical documentation; projects have spanned hundreds of thousands of drawings and literal truckloads of binders.
- Worked with world-leading, high-tech clients in different industrial sectors (e.g. ABB, LKAB, Atlas Copco; full list of projects available on request). Cubicle veteran.
2003—2005: University CS studies.
- SWEDISH ▉▉▉▉
- ENGLISH ▉▉▉•
- POLISH ▉▉••
- N. SAMI ▉•••
- 196.5 ECTS university credits (>3 years of full-time studies, roughly equivalent to a bachelor but focused on personal interests rather than pursuing a degree). Studies in language, computer science, history and music.
- A shitload of private courses and on-job training in CAD software, PLC programming, electrical standards and work safety (over a month in total).
- Drivers licence for car (european B class), snowmobile and ATVs.
Music (plays multiple instruments), mahjong (chinese board game), languages, travel, outdoors (hiking, fishing, survival), martial arts, literature, crafts (sewing, woodworking), photography (has taken over 60000 photos, most of them pretty bad).
HIRE THIS PERSON?